The Role of the Pediatric Genetic Counselor:
Work closely with children and parents, pediatricians, geneticists, and other medical specialists to:
- Figure out if a genetic condition is causing a sick child’s symptoms, and if so, which genetic condition.
- Teach parents of children with genetic conditions about the condition.
- Help families of children with genetic conditions to understand and cope with their family's present and future needs.
- Coordinate and help with referrals to specialist doctors, physical therapy, and help with school.
- Provide emotional support to patients and families.
Some other specialties genetic counselors work in include: